Science Department Overview
The Science Department focuses on implementing the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) throughout all our interesting course offerings from college prep classes, honors classes, to PLTW classes. Along with offering core classes (Biology, Earth and Integrated Physical Science, Chemistry, and Physics), the Science Department has a wide variety of elective offerings to meet the needs of students, job market demands and industry trends (or the like).
NGSS believes there are eight practices of science and engineering that are essential for all students to learn. The eight practices include:
1. asking questions (for science) and defining problems (for engineering),
2. developing and using model
3. planning and carrying out investigations
4. analyzing and interpreting data
5. using mathematics and computational thinking
6. constructing explanations (for science) and designing solutions (for engineering)
7. engaging in argument for evidence
8. obtaining, evaluating, and communicating information
As students’ interests evolve, the Science Department is committed to offering classes to meet their needs. Our first priority is to engage students and peak their interests in science.