Overview: School Governance Councils were created by the state’s recent education reform law (Public Act 10-111) to enable parents, school staff, students (where appropriate) and community leaders to work together to improve student achievement in the state’s lowest performing schools. School Governance Councils serve in an advisory capacity and are charged with assisting the school administration in making programmatic and operational changes to improve the school’s achievement.
(CT State Department of Education website)
· The NHS School Governance Council will be comprised of parents and community members, certified staff, students and a school administrator
· The SGC serves in an advisory capacity and is charged with assisting the school administration in making programmatic and operational changes to improve the school’s achievement.
· The goals of the committee, agenda items, meeting dates/times, and overall purpose will be decided once the committee if formed
· Other schools, including BMHS, have used the SGC to develop a school compact; the website below gives additional areas that may be addressed by the SGC
· For more information, please visit the following State Department of Education website: http://www.sde.ct.gov/sde/cwp/view.asp?a=2678&Q=322630
· The SGC is not affiliated with the union and participation is voluntary
Information on SGC
SGC Member Information
Meeting Dates and Times
For 2021-2022 school year:
Meetings are 6:30-8:30pm; public comments 7:30pm
Held in the NHS Library
Congratulations to the following NHS Teachers, Students, Parents and Community Members who have been selected as members of the NHS School Governance Council (SGC) for the 2021-2022 School year.
Administrator: Reginald Roberts, NHS Principal